Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Licorice Hair

The day before a haircut can be stressful. This nervousness from a coworker stemmed another hair-related conversation. Talk moves from favorite salons, shampoo products to the benefits of curly hair v. straight hair. I mention that my hair is naturally curly but I often wear it straight, because it's easier to manage. One lady in our talking circle says how I'm lucky to have options. I acknowledge that I love the flexibility- not to brag!

Another lady chimes into the conversation; she asks, "But aren't you mixed?" I nod, yes. "So do you think you have N-word-ish hair?" [She did not say N-Word. She said the other word and added -ish to the end. So it rhymed with licorice. So use your imagination.] Thinking that she literally asked if I had licorice hair, I say "What? licorice?" She repeats her offensive statement, adding "you know... like nappy hair?" 

"Well it gets tangled when I wear it curly..."





No comments:

Post a Comment