Monday, June 3, 2013

The Winery

When you find yourself in a beautiful countryside filled with vines and fine wines, you (obviously) decide to indulge in the wines from the vines. In town for a wedding, my friends and I decided to take a winery tour. Why not? Our tour guide is an older petite lady with short gray hair. It's a fun tour, as she tells us all about their history and tales of the winery's pet cat. After the tour and tasting, we line up to purchase some of our favorite bottles for future consumption.
As I'm browsing the gift shop with some of my gal pals, the tour guide approaches me. It's small talk at first; and we thank her for the tour. The awkward smiling and nodding begins as she's just standing there. Just as I begin my mental panic to brainstorm a new conversation topic, she asks me if I'm Hawaiian. I giggle with my 'no' response, and she begins to tell us how she used to live there and how my complexion was so similar. I tell her how I've been asked that quite a bit, adding that it's a nice compliment.
[Insert more awkward smiling and nodding] Luckily one of my friends has a rescuing segue; she asks our tour guide about her time in Hawaii. This victory was short lived, as more awkward smiling and nodding fills the shop.
My mental panic returns. Can anyone else feel this tension? Why is she still standing here? Can I just tell her thanks again? Do I walk away? What is happening!?

Her glance turns to me once again, more puzzled than ever.... "Are you Samoan?"

To borrow the wise words from Sir Pain of T (also known as T-Pain), I'm just going to blame it on the alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment