Thursday, May 31, 2012

The day I learned the meaning of stereotype...

In my elementary school only the 6th graders were allowed to be cheerleaders. Being impatient to start my dance career, in 5th grade I decided to join the Pom Squad. Coincidentally all the 5th grade girls on the squad were black. Of course, this excluded me. 

The time comes for our first performance, sharing the halftime show with the cheerleaders at the big game. It was actually just a regular basketball game, but I'm from Indiana. Therefore all the games are important. So we're getting ready with the cheerleaders in the cafeteria, when a few of the 6th grade girls come over and ask to see some of our routine. A few of us do the intro and the 6th grade girls seem impressed. Then the tallest 6th grader looks at me with a puzzled look. "Are you half black?" I nod my head to say yes. Then she replied. "That explains why you can dance."

No comments:

Post a Comment